BH Pheasant Tail - 3 Styles
Bead Head Pheasant Tail - Standard, Flashback or Sparkle
The Pheasant Tail Nymph imitates a variety of small aquatic insects, including mayflies, caddisflies, and stoneflies. The fly is tied with a simple yet effective design, and it is available in a variety of sizes, from 10-20.
The ever-popular Pheasant Tail Nymph is typically tied with a pheasant tail body, peacock herl ribbing, a soft hackle, and a small bead. The pheasant tail body imitates the body of a small aquatic insect, the peacock herl ribbing adds flash, the soft hackle imitates the legs of a small aquatic insect, and the small bead helps the fly sink. Larger sizes for Stoneflies, Caddis, Mayflies… and use the # 20s during the midge hatches.
One of the oldest and most widely used nymph patterns!
Here are some tips for fishing the Pheasant Tail Nymph:
• Fish the Pheasant Tail Nymph in areas where you would find small aquatic insects.
• Use a light tippet, as the Pheasant Tail Nymph is a small fly.
• Present the Pheasant Tail Nymph gently, as trout can be easily spooked.
• Dead drift the Pheasant Tail Nymph, or fish it with a slight retrieve.
• Be patient, as trout may take a few minutes to decide to eat the Pheasant Tail Nymph.
The Pheasant Tail Nymph is a versatile fly that can be used in a variety of conditions. It is a great fly to add to your fly box if you are looking for a fly that will imitate small aquatic insects and catch trout.
Styles: Standard or Bead Head
Sizes: # 10 - # 20